Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Papers and Stuff

Confession time: I am grading a set of papers that my students turned in a month and a half ago. How bad is that? I'm to blame for this, of course, but part of my procrastination is brought on by the fact that I know that my 125 papers are full of little jewels like this:

"The dragon scared Grendel so much he wanted to pea himself."

This student also used "thank" every time he meant to say "think."

So much for academic tone and homophones.

Aside from paper grading, I'm still cooking up a storm and fighting the urge to lie on the couch and watch Grey's Anatomy all day long. Seriously, if you're like me and you are joining Grey's late in the game, don't rent Seasons 1 and 2 unless you have the time to devote to it; it's too tempting to watch episode after episode after episode...

And another random note: I'm sick of Tom and Katie. I enjoy celebrity news as much as anyone else, but I was a little repulsed by how ET camped outside the castle in anticipation for the "wedding of the year." Whatever. Who cares?

And one more random note: I can't wait to see the movie Dreamgirls. Oprah had the cast on her show yesterday, and the clips she showed were really good. I've never seen the musical before but am familiar with many of the songs from the show...I think I know what I'll be doing December 26.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm also grading month-old papers...I just finished all my Shakespeare projects and, while some of them were very cute, it is a ridiculous project that I will never assign again!

I'm not watching Grey's Anatomy.

I think Suri Cruise is cute as a button.

I am so seeing Dreamgirls on opening day! I've already read and heard RAVES from folks who have already seen it in previews and yesterday's Oprah only heightened my excitement!

Amy said...

Is your refusal to watch GREY'S related to your contempt for Patrick Dempsey? He's actually pretty okay...and I'm not even on the McDreamy bandwagon.

I agree with you about Suri Cruise. Seriously, how cute is that baby? Too bad her parents are way, way overexposed.

Anonymous said...

I have decided that Tim is my long lost brother...I, too, am not watching GREY'S...am dying to see DREAMGIRLS...oooh, maybe we are all related...hate the CRUISE machine...think Suri is cute, but bound to need massive therapy.

Jenny said...

I, too, am grading research papers. I'm trying to grade them like this: good student, bad student, good student, bad student...that way it isn't such a chore...