Friday, January 24, 2014

Inclement Weather (?) And Rambling Thoughts

So.

The city of Baton Rouge apparently SHUTS 'ER DOWN at the slight mention of sub-30 temps and light rain. Amelia's school announced it was closing before any rain happened at all, and my school decided to close at 5:00 this morning.

And I find this all pretty hilarious. When I taught high school in Georgia, I worked for a school system that was well-known for NEVER shutting down, regardless of snow, ice, whatever. If the roads were "passable," then school was on.

There IS a very, very light dusting of snow on the roofs of the houses in our neighborhood. (I mean VERY light...just on a few select shingles.) Amelia asked if we could climb a ladder to the roof to build a snowman. 1) Is that an ER visit waiting to happen, or what? and 2) Bless her heart. (If I were Oprah Winfrey or someone of similar wealth, I would have had a snow machine installed in our backyard for Christmas. ALL Amelia wants to do is play in some snow.)

But anyway, so far I've enjoyed a morning of sleeping in (until 8!), and then leisurely sipping coffee while watching Good Morning America. And I totally teared up watching the feature they did on Liz Vargas (love her) and her recent effort to conquer her alcoholism. Just seeing the support of her colleagues (including Amy Robach and Robin Roberts, who have been on the receiving end of that support as well) was very moving. (Also, I find that the tears come more easily as I get older. Why is that?)

On a lighter note, and speaking of GMA, I never cease to be amazed at the transformation that George Stephanopoulos has undergone over the years. Do y'all remember when he was all frumpy and disheveled-looking as Clinton's press secretary? (I tried to find a good photo of this and failed.) And now he is this suave, sophisticated news man? Who knew?

(I think I've spent too much time thinking about that.)

(And I think I'm obsessed with GMA, despite the fact I rarely get to watch it these days.)

And speaking of transformation, I (well, my hair "stylist") chopped about eight inches off my hair yesterday. My hair had gotten REALLY long, and I just needed a change. I'm not sure if I love it yet, but I don't hate it. I think I wish it were just an inch or so longer, but it's hair. It will grow back.

(That last sentence shows tremendous growth -- pun not really intended, but there it is -- on my part. There have been MANY times in my past when I cried over a haircut. Who has time for that? I'd rather cry about the cast of GMA and their personal struggles.)

The news just came on with a special update on the "havoc" that this "winter weather" is causing. I better go so I can...do absolutely nothing.


No comments: