Thursday, February 14, 2013

Because nothing says "love" like cowboy boots...

So a few weeks ago, Darryl informed me that he had two gifts in mind for me for Valentine's Day, but he wasn't sure which one to get. One was a gift he could pick out himself, and one was a gift I would have to know about in advance because I would have to pick it out.

(I must pause here to say I was quite impressed that Darryl was thinking about Valentine's Day several weeks AHEAD OF TIME. He has come a long way since the Valentine's Day when he picked up some roses from Sam's, left the card unsigned, and then told me I could fill it in with whatever message I wanted.)

(Yes, he really did that.)

(That was not our best Valentine's Day as a married couple.)

(You can tell I've completely let it go.)

Back to the current story...

Darryl told me what the gift was that I would have to choose on my own: cowboy boots. Now before you snicker at A) the thought of cowboy boots as a Valentine's gift, or B) the thought of me wearing cowboy boots, you should know that I have been eyeing cowboy boots for a while but could never commit. I've seen women my age (and older) wearing them, but I also see college-aged girls wearing them (albeit with Daisy Dukes or mini-dresses, but that was not my wardrobe plan).

And I liked the idea of cowboy boots, but Darryl wouldn't tell me what the other gift was, the one that he could pick out.

Essentially, folks, I was faced with a Showcase Showdown dilemma.

If you've ever watched The Price is Right, you know about the Showcase Showdown dilemma. If you are the biggest winner, you get to be in the "bid or pass" situation after seeing Prize Package #1. I mean sure, the trip to Paris seems great, but what if the next prize package is a new car? Or two new cars? Or a two new cars AND a trip?

And the cowboy boots were very appealing. But what if the other gift was a car? A trip to New York?? A car AND a trip to New York???

(Truth: I was pretty sure it wasn't either of those things.)

I went to try on some cowboy boots and fell in love with a pair that I thought I could pull off (as in "pull off" the look, not "pull the boots off my feet"...although that is also a "must" with a pair of boots, correct?). They fit like a dream, and I decided to go with the prize package #1.

Before Darryl purchased them, he was kind enough to reveal Prize Package #2, and it was a Kindle Paperwhite. And while I would love one of those, I was already attached to my boots.

And I wore them this past Saturday for the first time, with jeans and a long-sleeved t-shirt. And no one stared at me (that is always my fear when I go outside my fashion comfort zone), so I consider that a successful first run with the boots.

Aren't they pretty?

And if THAT isn't a romantic story for Valentine's Day, I don't know what is.

Thank you, Darryl, for my boots! I love them, but I love you (a little bit) more!! :-)

3 comments:

Mom/Nana said...

I thought you looked good in the boots although I was surprised that you wanted them. What about some cowboy boots for Nana?

Amy said...

Maybe when you retire...

Jess said...

Love them!!
I wish my hubby had thought of that for Valentine's day =)