Monday, January 11, 2010

This made me sad

While he had pretty much all but admitted his steroid use in court testimony several years ago, Mark McGwire's admission makes me sad. I'm glad he's coming clean now and admitting his wrongdoing, but it still makes me sad.

I, like everyone else, was caught up in the home run record chase between him and Sosa back in the day. At the time, my students joked with me because I always used McGwire as an example in my mock thesis statements and mock intro paragraphs that I showed to my class. One class even promised they were going to get a life-sized poster of him for me. I didn't really have a crush on him; I just thought his accomplishment was inspiring and that he seemed like a good guy.

I'm not saying he is no longer a good guy. As I said, I'm glad he owned up to his wrongdoing. But his admission definitely casts a shadow on the magic of that baseball season. :(

No comments: