Monday, March 26, 2007

1 Day Down, 4 to Go

I'm officially on the countdown to Spring Break.

The Importance of Being Earnest isn't going well. That makes me sad; this is one of my favorite plays. It seems to decline in popularity every year, and I really do think that students are losing a sense of "wit." They flock to movies like Beerfest and Jackass 2, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised if Oscar Wilde isn't their cup of tea. (A few students have liked the play, but very few. And I'm all up for entertaining the possibility that maybe I could do a better job teaching it, but anything I do with it requires reading it first, and yeah...that isn't going so well.)

Today's highlight is that a student took out part of her weave during class (she was probably bored by Earnest) and left it in my trash can. It was quite the conversation piece for my later classes. (The funny thing is that they recognized the weave: "G________ took out her weave?")

Also, I had to switch classrooms with another teacher for 2nd period so that my room could be used for graduation testing. When I returned to my room, it smelled, well, urinesque. Don't know what the story is there. Don't know if I want to know.

No comments: