Saturday, February 17, 2007

A little bit of this and that

I haven't posted this past week because I've been pretty busy and tired. For what it's worth, here is what has been going on in my life, in no particular order:

--Darryl the World Traveler returned from a three-week stint in France. (I know...don't we all hate him?) Actually, he ended up working most of the time and didn't have many opportunities for sightseeing. He was in Montpellier, along the Mediterranean coast. Anyway, I really missed him while he was gone and am very glad to have him back.

--Darryl took me to South City Kitchen for Valentine's Day. The food was delicious. I had the best fried green tomatoes I've ever had; they were layered with goat cheese and deep fried. Seriously, I could have made a meal off those alone. For the entree, I had the fried chicken and mashed potatoes. Delicious. (Darryl had the meatloaf.) We split a dessert of homemade vanilla ice cream in a cookie-type basket with fresh fruit. Yum. I'd love to go back there.

--I have an insane amount of grading to do. I won't bore you with the details, but trust me...it's massive.

--I was really impressed this week by how many students got into the movie Emma. I really don't have the patience to READ Jane Austen with my "regular" (meaning non-Honors/non-AP) seniors, but I feel they should be at least exposed to her. I always lead into it by saying that it was the inspiration for the movie Clueless, and that seems to grab their attention. The movie did get off to a rocky start--the beginning is a little slowly paced for them--but they seemed to come around during Day 2. I have one class of 19 boys and 5 girls, and I had to smile when I looked at all these rowdy boys with their chins resting on their hands, eyes glued to the screen, saying, "Kiss her! Kiss her!" when Knightley declares his love at the end. When it was over, they admitted that the movie "wasn't bad for a chick flick."

--I really love my 10th grade honors class. Not only are they "with it" intellectually, but they are cooperative, obedient, good spirited, lively, funny, polite...all those qualities that teachers love. And on top of all that, and you'll appreciate this, Jen C, they sent me a love note from Sydney Carton of A Tale of Two Cities after I revealed to them that he was my new literary crush. :)

--To end the crazy week, Tim, Kim (who sometimes comments here as "Theatre Director"), and I went to DQ for a chocolate covered strawberry Blizzard. I highly recommend it.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

That made me smile. I told my senior honors 12 students (who are in Book Two, chapters 1-13 right now) that they would meet my "boyfriend" Sydney Carton in this part of their reading. They think I'm weird. I added to my nerdishness by admitting that I loved Jane Eyre--that I remember reading it during my tenth grade spring break. "You read during Spring Break???!!!!"

Sigh.

Anonymous said...

I am still up for Marble Slab ice cream sometime soon. I suffered a broken table table...yes, I did say table. Not my students...you can guess. My table now resembles a toothpick. Did I mention it was the table I was going to use in Les Mis?

On a different note, I am raising a nerdy family...went to see the Titanic exhibit on Sunday. Think Miss Mac has been quoting facts all day at school. Poor teacher!