Wednesday, July 15, 2015

A Girls' Trip to Temecula

I've been a bit quiet on the blog front the past week or so because A) PUPPY, and B) I have been out of town.

(I might possibly have to compose a post about how having a puppy is not unlike having a newborn.)

ANYWAY, last week, I went on a girls' trip to Temecula, California, with my friend Rebecca.

Why Temecula? Well, why not Temecula?

(If you have never heard of Temecula...it is considered the "wine country" of Southern California, about 45 minutes from San Diego.)

First, I think you need to know a little bit of background. About a year and a half ago, the Seminoles were going to the Rose Bowl, and Darryl, being the diehard Seminole fan that he is, really wanted to go. He went back and forth on whether or not he should go, thinking how expensive of a trip that would be. Not really caring that much about the game itself, I told Darryl that to cut down on cost, he could invite a friend or a family member to go with him because I really had no desire to go.

So Darryl invited his good friend Damian, but in the weeks leading up to the game, they started planning a side excursion to Temecula. And just like that, their trip turned into a BROmantic weekend that Rebecca (Damian's wife) and I would have been interested in.

Well, this past Spring Break, we stayed with Damian and Rebecca in Baton Rouge, and the guys' trip somehow came up in one of our conversations. (Obviously, Rebecca and I had completely let it go -- ha!) Anyway, Rebecca said something like, "Well, Amy and I might take our own trip to Temecula!" and get this--the guys pretty much said, "Go ahead!"

Twist our arms, why don't ya?

So last Monday, Rebecca and I met up at the San Diego airport. Rebecca's flight got there before mine, so she had our Jetta rental car waiting at the curb when I walked out with my luggage. And we were off!

Our first stop was Rebecca's great aunt and uncle's condo in San Diego because we were spending the night with them. Over the years, I've gotten to meet quite a few of Rebecca's extended family, and they are quick to welcome anyone with open arms.  Rebecca's Uncle Butch and Aunt Kay were awesome hosts. They took us for a picnic on a hill (a vista?) overlooking the ocean.


And while we were there, we saw a marriage proposal take place. (Forgive the terrible photo, but I didn't want to get all up in their business.)


Tuesday morning, we set off for Temecula, taking the longer scenic coastal route. We stopped at a really cool coffee shop in Solana Beach because PRIORITIES.

Once we arrived in Temecula, our first stop was to pick up a brie bowl that Rebecca had tried before that she claimed was amazing, and let me tell you, it was amazing-plus.



Essentially, that is a bowl of sourdough bread that has been buttered and seasoned with a wheel of brie melted inside.

Y'all.

Be still my heart. (Perhaps literally.)

I will tell you that food, specifically cheese, was a big priority on this trip. We prided ourselves on having really no agenda, and it was so nice just to relax, eat, chat, eat, and take in the scenery.

And here is just a random collection of photos.







Thursday morning, we headed back to San Diego, but first we had brunch outside by the sea at the Hotel del Coronado. (I mean, I did say that food was a priority, right?)

(And in case you are wondering, yes, my shorts are a bit snug this week, but I have no regrets.)

It was a successful girls' trip that was everything we wanted it to be. It should come as no surprise that we might need to make this an annual getaway...

No comments: