Saturday, March 03, 2012

What a Week! "My Life '12" and Other Craziness

Whew, people. This has been a week. A CRAZY WEEK.

(And this is going to be a longer post than usual. I'm just warning you.)

Last weekend, our high school ministry (called "Inside Out") had a special event weekend called "My Life." Unlike our other annual events that take place out of town, this one took place right here. Twenty-one (yes, 21!!) girls from our group registered for this weekend, so we had to find a parent willing to host 21 girls for the whole weekend (thank goodness a parent did that rather quickly) and transportation for all of us to get from one place to the other. (Just to give you some context...we were the biggest group out of all the "small" groups, and most groups had 6-12 students.) Without a doubt, this event was the most stressful for the leaders because we had to coordinate all of this AND find a free-time activity for us to do Saturday afternoon.

Even though the event was stressful to prepare for, I have to say that is was, without a doubt, the best event for our group. The girls all seems to bond more closely with one another and with me and Jen (my co-leader), and it was overall a huge success. Here's a pic of us at a chocolate factory, where we spent part of our free time:


Also, I learned two useful pieces of information from these girls:

1--There is a bra called "The Bombshell," and apparently some girls wear two at once. (I don't think that any of these girls wear The Bombshell, but apparently many high school girls do. And I don't want to link to The Bombshell, but you can Google it. And be amazed.)
2--I learned what YOLO means: "You Only Live Once." I might have been awakened at 4 am one morning to a group of girls saying, "YOLO! YOLO!" (I'm not sure what they were doing as they were saying this, but since they were contained in the house and nothing seemed to be on fire, I let them continue on with their "YOLO" escapades.)

Now, let's move on to the rest of the week...

So Sunday afternoon, I was more sleep deprived than I had been since Amelia's newborn days. And then Darryl had to leave Sunday evening to go out of town for the week.

Monday and Wednesday, I had to get up at 4:30 and get both Amelia and me ready so I could get to school for my part-time gig.

Tuesday, I had scheduled a check-up bright and early for Amelia (originally, this was so Darryl could go with us before going to work that day), so Amelia and I had to get up and get us dressed and over to the doc for her way past due annual check-up. Which included 4 shots. She was not a happy camper when that was over.

Friday, I had to judge an essay competition for a Literary event in Gainesville. This wasn't too bad, but it did take a few essays for me to get back into the "grading groove." And then it was like riding a bicycle. Once an essay grader, always an essay grader.

BUT in the "background" of all these little goings on was that we were negotiating with a couple who wanted to buy our house. Lots of emails back and forth, lots of phone calls with Darryl about what our next offer would be, lots of stress made a little more stressful because Darryl and I were a couple of time zones apart.

And on Friday, we finally reached an agreement. And then there were papers to sign, email, fax, and so forth.

(So YES, we sold our house. More on that later.)

Whew.

The tornado warnings last night seemed a fitting ending to this crazy week. I had the weather on, waiting for a sign to get in our hallway bathroom, and Darryl was flying in to Atlanta in this crazy weather. To provide extra assurance for me, he would text me to tell me about all the turbulence.

Thanks, Hon.

I'm crossing my fingers for a peaceful weekend.

No comments: