Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Realizing Life

Monday night, I went to see my school's excellent production of Our Town.

I love this play. It isn't full of action; instead, it is about the day-to-day routine of the small town of Grovers Corners in the early 1900s. The women gossip after choir practice. The milkman delivers the milk at the same time each day. Momma makes every meal for the family. Marriages take place. Babies are born. People die -- some young, some old.

It's a play about the extraordinary in the ordinary.

My favorite line occurs in the last act, when a now-dead Emily attempts to return to a "normal" day from her youth, and she is caught up in the beauty she never realized in what was a seemingly ordinary life. She says to the Stage Manager (who functions as a sort of narrator in the play):

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it -- every, every minute?"

Even though I have a long way to go, "realizing life" is something that I think I have gotten a little better at in the past few years. I take tons and TONS of photos, but my favorites are the little everyday moments. Here are a few:





1 comment:

Nana said...

I love the pictures and the comments about "Our Town".