Saturday, August 22, 2009

And now a little about school

School is still going well.

I'm teaching 11th grade all day. This is new. In the past, I've either had a 12th/11th split or a 10th/11th split, but I'm teaching American Lit in some form or fashion all day now. That's fine with me. I think I'm an "American-ist" at heart when it comes to literature.

I'm teaching three preps for the first time, too: AP Language and Comp/American Lit (a new course for me), Honors American Lit (another new course--new entirely to our school), and College Prep (a.k.a. "regular") American Lit. (Ironically, the students in College Prep are the least likely to go to college. Gotta love education rhetoric.)

I think teaching AP is the kick in the pants I needed to put some more passion into my teaching. I think I kind of lost it last year because last year was so difficult for many reasons, but I'm really working hard to meet the needs of these extremely bright students. I taught them all last year as 10th grade honors students, and I'm thrilled to get to teach them again. They're a good group of kids. If I had one complaint, it would be that the class is too big for AP (26 kids), and because the kids already knew me, there was already this air of familiarity with me...not the typical first-of-the-year nervousness and quietness that accompanies truly "new" classes. They tend to get off track frequently, but fortunately, they will eventually get back on. They're fun. And nerdy. I love nerds.

I'm less than thrilled with my Honors kids so far. I like them, but goodness, they got really lazy over the summer. I guess I just need to whip them into shape.

And the "regulars"...look, y'all. I have one class that is just sad. The kind of "bless their hearts" sad. The other two regular classes I have are pretty good--good attitudes, good natured.

I'm pretty optimistic about the year. I really need a good teaching year because frankly, by the end of last year, I was emailing Darryl articles to support the notion that I could be a stay-at-home mom. (In all reality, I don't think I could be one. But that's another blog post.)

On a somewhat school-related note...I took Amelia to her first football game last night. She was very good. Fortunately, my friend Sheri and her kids sat nearby, and Amelia played with their toys. But Amelia watched the game some, clapped when everyone else did, and danced a little to the music. I think she enjoyed it!

2 comments:

Nana said...

Where's a picture from the game?

Anonymous said...

Stumbled upon your blog as I was searching out information on the book "Teachers Have It Easy."

Last year was my last year teaching because I was waiting, always waiting for that mythological "good teaching year." It never happened. Now I'm auditing schools and loving it.

Why is teaching such the pits?

Regardless, I hope you DO have a good year.