Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Trip #1: A Visit to Florida, Complete with Pirates

I think I mentioned that Amelia spent a fun week with my parents. The week before last, I went to Florida to pick up my girl and to visit with my parents for a few days.

My mom had been wanting to take Amelia on a pirate cruise that several people had recommended, and I was game, so on that Monday night, that's what we did.


(My mother would probably like me to add that I thought, until we were practically in the car and on our way, that this was also a dinner cruise. I'm not sure where I got that idea -- she said that she never told me that it was a dinner cruise -- but for the record, I'd like to point out that she never said it wasn't a dinner cruise, either.)

Anyway, it was a fun evening, and I highly recommend it if you are ever in the Panama City Beach / St. Andrews area. The adults have to do absolutely nothing other than enjoy the sunset cruise (but not a dinner cruise!), and the pirate crew entertains the kids the whole time. I was even impressed by the low cost of the concessions and souvenirs they had on board.


This is Amelia, after she had collected her treasure from the sunken treasure chest they found. She was a happy girl!!

Another highlight of the trip was having lunch with my Aunt Winifred; her daughter-in-law, Leigh; her granddaughter, Lily; and Aunt Winifred's mother, who is in her early 90s (but still cuts her own grass!). I hadn't seen any of them in ages, so it was fun to catch up over some fried chicken and other Southern delicacies. I could kick myself for not getting a photo of all of us. We enjoyed some good laughs, especially as we reminisced about a trip we all took to the Smoky Mountains and Dollywood about 8 years ago. We might need to do that again!

Another day we took Amelia to see Tomorrowland, which, frankly, was BORING. I had been warned, but Amelia was still insistent on seeing it, so I went with very low expectations. And those expectations were met. (And while George Clooney was not enough to keep that movie from being a songfest -- dadgum, I swear he gets more attractive as he ages.)

And before we knew it, it was time for Amelia and me to head home so we could get ready for our next adventure: California.

No comments: