Thursday, June 04, 2015

Food and Friends

Amelia is having a blast with my parents this week.

Exhibit A:



Meanwhile, my summer so far has consisted of friends and food.  Our friend Rebecca was in town for a conference for the weekend, and she was able to add an extra day so she could visit us. I picked her up from the Marta station Sunday afternoon, and we immediately went to Nordstrom to scout out their shoes. Because that's what we do. Then we came home and feasted like kings (queens?) because again, that's what we do.

And I'm not sure what it says about me as a friend, but I took absolutely zero photos of Rebecca and me, but I took a couple of the food we ate. And here is where I want to present to you the DELICIOUS brie baked in a pastry crust that I prepared. I was so proud of myself.


This is the recipe I used. I opted for raspberry preserves top of the brie, and I also did an egg wash over the top of the crust. SO. GOOD.

I also made one of Rebecca's favorite desserts, an old school cherry-cream cheese pie.


And in between that, we had steaks, grilled vegetables, and Ina Garten's easy risotto.

(And I was aghast -- AGHAST -- and the number on the scale Tuesday morning. Denial, anyone?)

(However, I feel the need to add that Monday morning, Rebecca and I did go to the gym. Maybe that made a tiny 300-calorie dent in the thousands of calories we consumed the night before.)

Before Rebecca left Monday afternoon, we went to see Pitch Perfect 2, which was just as fun as the first one, in my opinion. (Also, it made me a teensy bit homesick for LSU, as that was where much of the movie was filmed.)

Last night, I met up with my friend Tim at Shorty's Pizza. I've been wanting to go back there ever since I returned to Georgia, and it was just as good as I remembered. And of course, we had their freshly baked cookies (with homemade whipped cream!) for dessert.


Good friends, good food...not a bad way to begin the summer, eh?

No comments: