Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Time for a blog update, huh?

I haven't updated recently because, well, not much is going on. I'm in one of those modes where it feels as though my life is like this: get up, go to school, come home, prep for the next day, grade, go to bed, get up, go to school, come home,...

If I were one of "those" teachers, I would slap a movie into the DVD player for two weeks straight and catch up on my grading. However, I try really hard not to be one of "those" teachers, so I guess that isn't an option.

I have found that some things are easier to teach than others, and I've had some real challenges lately. My seniors finally finished Grendel and wrote essays about it (add to the grading list, check), and now we're about to do sonnets. I love sonnets, but if anyone out there knows how to help high school students love them too, I'm up for hearing suggestions. My Pre-APs just started Julius Caesar, and I'm managing to stay about an act ahead of them in my teaching preparation. Sigh. (I'm actually in the middle of making up a quiz for Act I.)

So, that's about it for me these days. I have managed to have some fun here and there. This past weekend, I went to a great high school football game--our school versus what was supposed to be a big rival--and we won. I went to a cool Fall Festival in Duluth with my friend Jessica on Saturday. I've even managed to watch some of my favorite TV shows.

Yeah. That's it. I'm done.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was great sharing key lime cookies with you! Sorry you are experiencing my type of weeks, too...thought it was just me and One Act.

Jenny said...

Give yourself a break every now and then, Amy. You have to. I've been breaking out (as in zits) lately because of the stress I've been putting on myself. Find a "non movie" video--something like Shakespeare's bio etc. to go in with Sonnets and give yourself some time. Have them take notes or show they were paying attention.

As for activities? I use the TP CASTT poetry analysis sheet starting with the sonnets, have them find other sonnets online that we haven't covered in class, have them bring in their favorite love song and analyze it, write their own sonnet (showing them a silly example I wrote), stuff like that. Did that help at all?

Amy said...

Hey Jen--I like the sonnet ideas. This semester, I've had to shorten my sonnet unit a little bit in order to make time for some other things that need to get done (I'm also having to accommodate a couple of days that I know I'm going to be out in November), but I will definitely make a note of those ideas for next year.

And Kim--it definitely isn't just you and One Act. We need snacks soon!

Anonymous said...

Name the date..maybe I will have to time to gulp something.